The Dust Settles
Lo! It’s been quiet around here. As mentioned before, I’ve been updating a bit of stuff on the site. Well, I’ve recoded everything from the ground up. The basic rundown, for those interested:
- Ditched XHTML Transitional and moved to XHTML Strict. All of the main pages are done, but I’m still piecing my way through older entries
- I stopped using bold Georgia for links (and I believe most cases of bold Georgia, other than for emphasis). When I first made this site, I had to spend a lot of time at work on a PC. Windows has such abominable font rendering that I think I chose to use Georgia bold to compensate a bit.
- Totally revised header (h1, h2, h3, etc) scheme (especially in the archives). This was probably the most needed of updates.
- Ditched the calendar on Archive pages, because I was probably the only one who used them. I think they were only there in the first place because I found out I could do it.
- Using the fairly new Basename field in MovableType for individual entry file names
- Drastically simplified commenting area, getting rid of extra explanatory text and moving the “permitted tags” key up near the fields to be more useful.
- Improved the site Search by adding sorting options in the Advanced Search
- All links from Oddities & Diversions now have permalinks (the daggers)
- I’ve closed submissions for the Best Band Name Ever. The link has been removed from the nav, but the page still exists and can be reached from the About page for all eternity.
- A sprinkling of font related updates: subtle underlines for links, larger post titles, improved nav text, graphic headers now use Dispatch Extender Regular instead of Light.
- Lots of other random nagging housekeeping chores
None of this is that revolutionary, but I’ve been pecking away and putting it aside for over a year now, so pardon the giant sigh of relief. This was the first site I ever made with CSS, and back then I knew very little about the joys of descendant selectors and semantic value. After learning more and working with CSS further, I realized just how wretchedly my site was coded. Which isn’t to say it’s a coding marvel now, but it is giant step beyond where it was. “But Jason, if you are going to re-code the entire site, why not just redesign it too?” I thought that same thing. But the plain fact is, I hate redesigning things just for the sake of it. I’m not tired of this design, it still suits my needs, and remains fairly unique. So, it stays.
I’m still cleaning up some rough edges, including some browser problems (I believe the sidebar breaks in IE PC 6). I have been extremely busy between client work, travel, home-ownership, and a thoroughly wonderful new side project, but what I have done here will allow me to make some new additions I’ve been planning. And last but not least, finally get back to some semblance of a publishing schedule (especially for the Under The Loupe series).
One last thing: I am now using Geoff Stearns’ awesome Flash Object for the SWFs in the Photography section, but you may notice I haven’t updated with any new photos in quite some time. This is because I’m conflicted. I would love to show the photos larger, but I would have to recreate the photo viewer I made to be a bit more flexible. I could use Dominey’s handy SlideShowPro, but the shrinking for vertical photos is less desirable. I could just say screw it and start really using my Flickr account… but I would have to get over this odd need to have my work on my site. Hence the conflict.